FILE – In this May 27, 2020 file photo, quarantine tents set up for recruits arriving at the Marine Corps’ Parris Island Recruit Depot, S.C. The tents were used until earlier in the week and now recruits go through quarantine at the Citadel, the Marine college in Charleston, S.C. A study published on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2020 found that despite temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks and strict quarantines before they were allowed to start training, new Marine recruits spread the virus to others even though hardly any of them had symptoms. None of the infections that occurred were caught through symptom screening. (AP Photo/Lolita Baldor) Only recruits who tested negative at the end of both quarantine periods were allowed to go on to Parris Island for basic training. The case shows that “young, healthy persons can contribute to community spread of infection, often silently,” Dr. Nelson Michael of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research wrote in a commentary. The quarantine measures and adherence to them were far more strict than what would occur at a typical college campus, said another study leader, Mount Sinai’s Dr. Stuart Sealfon. Previously, federal officials said a screening project to check temperatures and symptoms at U.S. airports caught fewer than 15 cases out of 675,000 travelers. It’s not known how many cases were missed, just that very few were detected. “We spent a lot of time putting measures like that in place and they’re probably not worth the time as we had hoped,” said Jodie Guest, a public health researcher at Atlanta’s Emory University who had no role in the research. ___ A separate study published Wednesday in the New England journal reports on an outbreak last spring on the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt. Among the crew of 4,779, mostly young people, 1,271 became infected; 77% did not show symptoms when diagnosed and 55% never developed any. Temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks like the ones used at schools and doctor’s offices have again proved inadequate for spotting coronavirus infections and preventing outbreaks. “Routine testing seems to be better in this age group” because younger adults often have no symptoms, she said. The recruits were tested for coronavirus when they arrived for the military quarantine and 7 and 14 days afterward. Sixteen, or about 1%, tested positive on arrival and only one had any symptoms. Another 35 — an additional 2% — tested positive during the two-week military quarantine and only four had symptoms. Related Coronavirus Screening Available Now in ImageTrend EliteIAFC: Coronavirus Task Force Update “A lot of the infection that occurs, we don’t even realize it is occurring,” said one study leader, Navy Cmdr. Andrew Letizia, a doctor at the Naval Medical Research Center. A study of Marine recruits found that despite these measures and strict quarantines before they started training, the recruits spread the virus to others even though hardly any of them had symptoms. None of the infections were caught through symptom screening. “This is a really infectious virus. You really need to use a combination of good public health measures, temperature checks, mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing … and comprehensive testing” to prevent spread, he said. The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content. Genetic testing revealed six separate clusters of cases among the recruits. The study was led by researchers from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York and the Naval Medical Research Center. The study, published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, has implications for colleges, prisons, meatpacking plants and other places that rely on this sort of screening to detect infections and prevent outbreaks. It involved 1,848 Marine recruits, about 90% of them men, who were told to isolate themselves for two weeks at home, then in a supervised military quarantine at a closed college campus, The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina, for two more weeks. That included having a single roommate, wearing masks, keeping at least 6 feet apart and doing most training outdoors. They also had daily fever and symptom checks.
Having established Focus Bicycles USA Inc, to distribute Focus branded bicycles across the US, Germany’s Derby Cycle Werke is gearing up for delivery of Focus road and time trial bikes to US dealers this summer.The newly established Focus Bicycles USA business is managing all sales, marketing, distribution and customer service in order to support the Focus brand, famously used by pro cycling team, Team Milram, and the Kölner Triathlon Team (KTT 01).“With the entry into the US market we will further increase the international market share of Focus,” said Mathias Seidler, Chief Executive Officer at Derby Cycle Werke GmbH.Derby Cycle Werke has hired Scott Rittschof, as President of the new US division. Rittschof was previously Vice President of International Operations for PowerBar, based in Munich, and has owned and operated two retail stores in the San Diego, California, area.“We are convinced that we found the perfect partner for our US distribution. Scott Rittschof has the experience of working in the US bicycle market and has worked internationally,” added Seidler.Meanwhile, new Focus USA President, Rittschof added, “Focus bicycles like those ridden by Team Milram in this year’s professional road peloton will reach the US market by this summer. The German-engineered and assembled road, mountain, cyclocross and time trial/triathlon bikes will deliver the highest quality and technology at prices that guarantee high value to the consumer.”www.focus-bikes.com Related
A MASSIVE expansion of Toronto’s commuter rail services is envisaged as the backbone of improved public transport in a strategic plan unveiled by the new Greater Toronto Services Board at the end of January. Closer integration with metro and streetcar services is recommended, together with the construction of ’gateway’ park-and-ride stations.Created on January 1 1999 to co-ordinate planning for the City of Toronto and five neighbouring authorities, GTSB assumed control of GO Transit from the Province of Ontario last summer. The 25-year strategic plan warns that the Greater Toronto Area is at ’a congested crossroads in imminent danger of gridlock.’ To counter this it favours major investment in public transport, although GTSB Chairman Alan Tonks says federal and provincial funding will be essential.Remodelling Union Station with better interchange between rail, bus and metro would allow the introduction of all-day services on GO routes which currently see only a handful of rush-hour trains. These would link Toronto to Burlington, Whitby, Milton via Mississauga, Brampton, Richmond Hill and Stouffville. A shuttle bus would link Pearson Airport with the nearby Georgetown line. Proper interchange stations would be built where the rail and metro lines intersect.Existing rail lines would be used to extend passenger services to Vandorf, Uxbridge and Bowmanville. A new route would serve Pickering, Seaton and East Markham via Scarborough, where it would interchange with TTC’s ALRT mini-metro. Orbital ’transit corridors’ are also envisaged to link key stations along the radial rail routes.
Martin Schmitz from Vossloh Kiepe will become Technical Managing Director of VDV, the Association of German Transport Undertakings, on September 1.
English national Mason Greenwood got into new trouble just a week after he was expelled from the camp of the “three lions” for non-compliance with measures against the coronavirus. He and Phil Fouden invited models for company in their hotel room in Iceland, and coach Gareth Southgate was uncompromising and sent the two players home.A week later, Greenwood got into another mess. He was caught breathing “heavenly gas” at a party with his girlfriend. It is still unclear whether he will suffer another penalty from the club management of Manchester United. Follow us anywhere and anytime with the mobile application of Gong.bg. You can download it from Google Play, App Store and AppGallery.
epic.LAN has announced Scan and ASUS as their official retail and hardware partners for the next 12 months. epic.LAN will use the partnership to bring major improvements for future epic.LAN events.As part of this 12-month deal, Scan and ASUS will have their branding across on-site and online at key events throughout the period – exclusive show offers will also be made available to epic.LAN participants. epic.LAN will also leverage the partnership to provide marketing support to raise the profile of epic.LAN and grassroots esports in the UK.Jon Winkle, epic.LAN Managing Director, had this to say on the deal: “I’m really excited to be partnering with these two renowned industry brands to help us move epic.LAN to the next level, particularly in 2019. The combination of the retail support from Scan and hardware from a huge name like ASUS will bring some real benefits to our customers and help position epic.LAN as one of the premier community-level gaming and esports operators in the UK.”epic.LAN will host their next event this weekend at the Kettering Conference Centre, UK. epic.LAN will show off the latest ASUS hardware and opportunities for attendees to win various prizes as well as discounts on Scan productsMatt Hindley, Scan’s Head of Marketing, added: “We’re really looking forward to bringing this series of exciting events to the UK gaming community in partnership with epic.LAN. This sponsorship is part of our overall commitment to esports in the UK and there’s a strong alignment between epic.LAN, ASUS and Scan.”Esports Insider says: 2018 has been a solid year for epic.LAN and it shows no signs of slowing with this recent deal. After announcing their 2019 plans, partnering with the British Esports Association and a deal with Grosvenor Casinos just to name a few.Subscribe to ESI on YouTube
Advertisement 9iy8NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs1g0Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eu( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) btnWould you ever consider trying this?😱seCan your students do this? 🌚mcnRoller skating! Powered by Firework Tyson Fury insists he is ready to face Deontay Wilder after only two fights on the comeback trail. A media tour is expected early next month to confirm the details of the event, and according to Daily Telegraph, the fight will be on Nov 17 in Las Vegas.Advertisement In front of a 25,000-sellout crowd at Windsor Park, Fury shook off any ring rust and showed genuine focus for the task against a limited opponent.Advertisement Despite his out-of-the-ring problems, lay-off and lack of action against top-level opponents, the Manchester-based boxer feels ready for Wilder, who will make the eighth defense possibly on November 10 or 17 in Las Vegas.Fury, who weighed 18 stones 6 pounds for Pianeta (35-5-1, 21 KOs), plans on being 18 stones when he faces Wilder.Advertisement That said, both fighters are expected to earn upwards of £10 million each from the world title fight, which will be on pay-per-view on BT Sport, and televised in the US by Showtime.The winner of this fight will most probably fight Anthony Joshua in the biggest Heavyweight fight of this century. Advertisement
I’ve Got Your Back: Debra Coffey, Co. Clare, Norma Carty, Wexford and Claire McLoughlin, Galway pictured at the Frances Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim for Cancer Care West.Photo : Murtography Each swimmer needs a boat to follow and track their swim, organisers are again this year asking any boat owner to get in contact with the hope they can volunteer their services on the day. The most suitable boat type is a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat ) fitted with an outboard engine and we are again asking people to help support the swimmers in this year’s swim across the Bay, “explained Ciaran Oliver of Galway Bay Boat Tours.Ciaran went onto say, ‘ideally we are looking for Ribs and small motor boats, but any other suitable pleasure craft between 5 and 8 metres would be considered. However we are urging people to get in touch and we can then pull together resources from what we have and ensure that this swim is again a safety success.”The swim which is now sold out will see close to 130 swimmers taking part this year it is now one of Ireland’s biggest and longest one day swims. Starting from Auginish in Co. Clare and finishing at Blackrock Diving Tower in Salthill, the swim is a distance of roughly 13 kilometres….if you swim straight.This year there will be 65 solo swimmers and 65 relay swimmers taking part in teams of 2,3 and 4 swimmers. Since the swim began 13 years ago, 569 people have swum the Bay and this year again it will be a mixture of swimmers who have completed the swim every year and complete novices.Last year’s swim raised €108,000 for Cancer Care West and we are hoping to beat that this year. The monies raised will help fund the expansion of our support services for cancer patients including a counselling service for children and a dedicated gym rehabilitation space for cancer patients.The Frances Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim will take place on Saturday July 21st. People are invited to go down to Blackrock diving tower, Salthill to welcome the swimmers home from 12 Noon.To volunteer or for more details check out http://www.galwaybayswim.com/ or on www.facebook.com/galwaybayswim Now in its 13th year, the Frances Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim in aid of Cancer Care West returns to the waters of Galway Bay this July. Safety is a priority for the swim, each year the event reaches out to the maritime community in the west to support the swim through boat support. The annual Galway Bay Swim which will take place on Saturday 21st July is looking for volunteers and boats to assist in this year’s race. I’ve Got Your Back: Debra Coffey, Co. Clare, Norma Carty, Wexford and Claire McLoughlin, Galway pictured at the Frances Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim for Cancer Care West. Photo : Murtographyprint WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email
A huge performances Paul Kelly saw him lead by example, finishing the game with 11 rebounds, 16 points and eight assists, with Cork’s David Murray also rounding off a superb display finishing on 19 rebounds, 16 points and six assists. Ireland Under 18 men’s fixtures – FIBA European Championship(Note: All times listed are Irish times) Saturday, July 28thClassification Games Tuesday, July 24thGroup GamesMonaco v Ireland, 13.30 Moycullen basketball star Paul Kelly was one of the shining lights for the Ireland Under 18 men’s team this afternoon as they drove home to an 84-69 point win over Malta this afternoon in their opening group game at the FIBA Under 18 Men’s European Championship Division C in Kosovo. Monday, July 23rdGroup GamesIreland v Armenia, 18.30 Ireland Under 18 men’s Results – FIBA European Championship Sunday, July 22ndGroup GamesMalta 69-84 Ireland It wasn’t an easy game at all for the Irish though, with a tough match-up in the form of a very small and pacey Malta side, whose outside shooting presence caused huge trouble for the Irish early on. Malta’s Nicholas Formosa hit three big three-pointers in the opening minutes to send them into an early lead, and as the Irish struggled to settle, Malta continued to punish them at the other end, stretching the lead out as the clock ticked on. The boys in green finally found their rhythm in the latter stages of the quarter, and big scores from Kelly, James Connaire and Eoin McCann saw the margin closed back to just three points at the end of the first (17-21).A tough and gritty second quarter followed. Eoin Nelson made a huge impact off the bench, collecting some big rebounds and finishing in style and suddenly, it was back to a one-point game. Nate Moore drained two huge threes to put Ireland ahead for the first time, and a three from captain Darragh O’Sullivan saw Ireland lead 37-33 going in at half time.The intensity remained high in the third, with Murray proving to be a big leader for the Irish as Malta launched a comeback. They retook the lead with just four minutes to play, before Murray tied the game up with a great open look under the boards. Paul Kelly took over the reins of the game, driving home two huge scores, and again, O’Sullivan was on hand to add another score to edge ahead 61-55 going into the last.A superb fourth quarter followed, with Kelly and Murray shining bright. Huge displays from Nelson, McCann and Liston helped to stretch Ireland’s lead and they punished Malta ruthlessly under the boards. Some superb link up and great transition play saw them push ahead to run out deserving 84-69 point winners in the end.Speaking afterwards, head coach Paul Kelleher stated: “We know we can play better, it wasn’t the performance that we wanted but a win is a win and I think we finished the game really well. Malta was a bad match up for us, they were all guards which stretched us out a little bit. They had some really good shooters who were hot and we didn’t close them down early enough.“It was a different intensity for the boys today, but that’s the first day out done now and we’re really happy with the result and hopefully we will keep building as we go on.”Games continue in Kosovo tomorrow, with Ireland facing Armenia at 6.30pm Irish time. Thursday, July 26thGroup GamesIreland v Moldova, 13.30 Friday, July 27thClassification Games IRELAND: Paul Kelly (16), Jay Kavanagh (2), Nathan Moore (9), James Connaire (9), Cillian O’Driscoll, David Murray (16), Eoin McCann (10), Darragh O’Sullivan (7), Oisin Rice, Conor Liston (2), Matt Harper (7), Eoin Nelson (6). Sunday, July 29thClassification GamesThe Ireland Under 18 men’s team 2018:Cillian O’Driscoll, Gaelcholaiste Reachrann, Malahide BCConor Liston, Belvedere College, Tolka RoversDarragh O’Sullivan, Colaiste Choilm, Neptune BCDavid Murray, Presentation Brothers, Neptune BCEoin McCann, Mount Temple, KUBS BCEoin Nelson, Oatlands College, UCD MarianJames Connaire, St. Joseph’s, The Bish, Moycullen BCJay Kavanagh, De La Salle, Waterford VikingsMatt Harper, Templeogue College, Templeogue BCNate Moore, Crescent Comprehensive, Limerick LionsOisin Rice, Colaiste Choilm, Tullamore, Dublin LionsPaul Kelly, St. Mary’s, Moycullen BCprint WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email
Galway minor hurler’schampionship results since 20152018Quarter Final Round Robin:Galway 1-20 Limerick 0-12; Galway 1-21 Kilkenny 2-11 Semi final: Galway 3-22Dublin 0-16 Final: Galway 0-21 Kilkenny0-142017Quarter Final: Galway 2-19Clare 1-12Semi Final: Galway 1-12Kilkenny 2-8Final: Galway 2-17 Cork2-152016Quarter Final: Galway 2-22Antrim 0-8Semi Final: Tipperary 7-12Galway 2-122015Quarter Final: Galway 1-14Limerick 0-13Semi Final: Galway 2-20Kilkenny 0-26 AET; Galway 3-10 Kilkenny 0-17 (replay)Final: Galway 4-13Tipperary 1-16Played 13Wins 11 Draws 1 Losses 1print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email The Galway Minor Hurlers face Kilkenny this weekend in their opening game of the Electric Ireland All-Ireland Hurling Championship looking to continue their good run in a competition that goes back to 2015 with just one loss in thirteen games. Galway manager Brian Hanley spoke to Niall Canavan